Kebbi State has recorded about 146 deaths since the outbreak of cholera that is currently ravaging the country.
About 22 states are facing the outbreak including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
In a phone interview on Wednesday morning with Premium Times, the executive secretary of Sir Yahaya Memorial Hospital in Kebbi, Aminu Bunza confirmed the figure for the state.
According to him, the outbreak was first recorded in Sakaba local government area of the State.
Mr. Bunza said 2,028 persons had been infected by the disease as of Wednesday.
“The outbreak was first recorded in Dirin daji community of Sakaba and it has now spread to 20 local government areas of the state. The affected people spread across the local government areas.”
The hospital boss said the state government was taking steps to stem the spread of the disease.
“The state government has provided equipment and drugs to all the local government areas and trained health personnel to ensure the issue is being tackled even in the areas where the outbreak has not been recorded.”
Mr Bunza, however, called on the people of the state to ensure personal and environmental hygiene and to drink clean water only.
He also called on health personnel to avoid rendering home services to suspected cases, urging people to report suspected cases to the nearest health facility.